The company: RapidMiner, formerly Rapid-I, was founded in 2007 in Dortmund Germany. It has about 40 employees, 35 channel partners, 500 enterprise customers, and 200,000 active users.
The products: RapidMiner provides predictive analytics for business analysts. It requires no programming – users build analytics processes with a drag and drop interface. RapidMiner integrates easily with existing IT infrastructures, and can access unstructured and structured data from almost any source.
RapidMiner’s Series A investors are Earlybird Venture Capital and Open Ocean Capital.
The Board of Directors includes:
- Ingo Mierswa, CEO at RapidMiner
- Jason Whitmire, Partner at Earlybird Venture Capital
- Patrik Backman, Managing Partner at Open Ocean Capital (creators of mySQL)
- Usama Fayyad, former Chief Data Officer at Yahoo!
- JJ Sendelbach, former COO of Deutsche Bank NA
The name change from Rapid-I to RapidMiner in November 2013 reflected the shift from an open source to business source model, and supports the unification of our brand names to simplify the selection of the right edition for our customers. The team at Rapid-I created RapidMiner and continues to be responsible for new versions of the source code for the main product.
Popularized by Michael (Monty) Widenius, one of the founders of MySQL and an investor in RapidMiner, business source is a commercial software license model that offers many of the benefits of open source (a large community that creates add-ons and everyone has access to the source code) but with a built-in time delay on access to new versions. This allows us to deliver feature-rich versions of the software to all groups of users, while commercial users can analyze larger data sets and connect the software to more data sources.
Existing RapidMiner users now have choice between the business source and open source versions. It is most likely that many open source users will migrate to the business source versions over time.
You can purchase RapidMiner from the company, or from its global network of partners, listed online at www.RapidMiner.com.
RapidMiner includes a number of pre-built templates, for several vertical industries, and use cases. ex. there is a template for analysis of customer churn in the telecommunications industry. The RapidMiner Marketplace offers extensions for specific solutions. And customers can also work with RapidMiner or one of its channel partners to develop specific solutions.
The RapidMiner Marketplace is where users can discover and install new RapidMiner extensions published by a growing list of independent developers. Popular extensions include text and web mining, image mining, recommender systems, and the integration of R. For more information, visit www.rapidiminer.com.
RapidMiner v6.0 includes pre-built templates for self-service predictive analytics, with a new welcome screen that makes it easier and faster to get started. There are also Tours and Tutorials available at www.rapidminer.com, as well as within the program.
- Ingo Mierswa, PhD, CEO. Founder, formerly with the Artificial Intelligence Division of the University of Dortmund, Germany.
- Andrew Dinsmore, CFO/COO. Formerly with Elmscroft LLC, Stuart Lammert & Co, BottomLine Group, and A.T. Kearney
- Giuseppe Taibi, PhD, CPO. Formerly with WEGOHealth, Soundtracker Radio, Quitnet, the International Council at Harvard, and Altoprofilo
- Bobbie Carlton, CMO. Formerly with Cognos, PTC, Innovation Nights, Carlton PR & Marketing, Sterling Hager, and Davies Murphy
RapidMiner v6.0 is available in:
- Starter Edition, with 1 GB of memory, access to MS Excel and CSV data, and no licensing fee;
- Personal Edition, with 4 GB of memory, access to most common data files and open source databases, 14 days of support, priced from $999;
- Professional Edition, with 8 GB of memory, access to most common data files and databases, 14 days of support, priced from $2,999; and
- Enterprise Edition, with unlimited memory, access to all files and databases, (including HDFS, SAS, SPSS, and SAP), full support, with pricing available upon request.
As a private company, we don’t disclose RapidMiner revenues, which have been growing up to 300 percent per year since 2011. We expect to exceed our previous growth rates due to our recent Series A funding. RapidMiner was profitable and funded by revenues through its Series A round, which was announced on Nov.4, 2013.
- Pre-built templates for self-service predictive analytics
- New Welcome screen makes it easier and faster to get started
- New Result view, with call to action(s)
- New Statistics and Charts views
- Improved Tours and Tutorials
- New licensing and pricing
Altogether, improvements in RapidMiner v6.0 enable users to be up and running within five minutes.
RapidMiner Server, which provides remote and scheduled analytics and web-based reporting, enterprise collaboration, increased processing power, and shared repositories to RapidMiner.
Predictive analytics is the practice of analyzing historical and current data to make statistically accurate predictions about future events. One example of this is analyzing historical customer behavior to predict which customers are most likely to leave a smartphone contract soon (churn). Or analyzing a manufacturing plant’s maintenance and breakdown records to predict when a particular machine or part is likely to fail – the plant operators can then better plan maintenance schedules, and reduce disruptive break downs.
RapidMiner has a connector to work with Hadoop, and scales to work with very large relational databases. RapidMiner is also the only predictive analytics solution in the market that can execute analytical processes in-memory, in-database, and in-Hadoop.
Top industries include Life Sciences, Financial Services, Manufacturing, and Telecommunications.
There are a number of vendors of predictive analytics, from SAS, SAP/KXEN, and IBM/SPSS, to R and Alteryx. In contrast to those solutions, RapidMiner does not require the skill set of data scientists but allows business analysts, and users from the line of businesses, the ability to answer future-looking questions, and be more proactive by doing so. RapidMiner achieves this with its easy-to-use, drag-and-drop interface without requiring programming skills. RapidMiner is also distinguished by its innovative user community, high degree of automation, and connectors to many data sources and third-party applications, to offer predictive analytics in the natural working environment of its users, e.g. displaying the likelihood of future churn within a CRM-system.
- Direct Marketing
- Sentiment Analysis
- Competitive Intelligence
- Customer Churn Analysis
- Customer Segmentation
- Prediction of Customer Lifetime Value
- Fraud Detection
- Predictive Maintenance
Customers include GfK (one of the world’s largest market research firms, with 11,000 employees), Lufthansa, PayPal, Sanofi, and Telenor Group (a leading mobile operator with 150M subscribers in Asia and the EU). Altogether, there are over 200,000 active users.
At RapidMiner we do everything we can to ensure that you receive email and system notifications for your account. If you believe that you have not received an email from RapidMiner.com please verify the following:
- Search through your spam/junk email box for messages from “firstname.lastname@example.org“
- Have your IT dept. whitelist emails from
- Check with your IT dept. to ensure that rapidminer.com emails are not internally blocked by your firewall.
Our email delivery system has a 99%+ deliverability rate and passes all major spam tests. It’s unlikely that you haven’t received an activation or forgot password email, following these steps should allow you to gain the information you need.